Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Father's Contemplation


Sunday morning.

I took a walk this week with Jackson on my shoulders. I held his legs with my hands and he held onto my hair. Thirty years ago I did the same with Brian. We walked from our little apartment in married student housing to Buttreys, where I purchased him a Matchbox car to play with. Then we walked home. I held his legs and he held onto my hair. Thirty years goes by so quickly. The next thirty will see the end of my days here. And you will all be raising children and grandchildren of your own, maybe walking with them on your shoulders.

Yesterday evening, Marc, Bri'e, Aubrey and I watched "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium." I highly recommend it! Aubrey snuggled on my shoulder and whispered, "I love you, Papa." I cannot express what those words from that perfect little heart meant to me. Nor can I tell you how I felt carrying Jackson on my shoulders. Someday, you will all understand.

In the meantime, it is a lovely Sunday morning. And despite all that life has done to separate us, eternal covenants bind us together. I am so thankful for that this morning.

I love you all. Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment