Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Day of This Life


I'm listening to a conference discussion between a structured settlement expert, a "special needs" trust lawyer, my co-counsel and Gene and Kori Corson. We are talking about what to do with Cledi's money if we are successful tomorrow in settling her case. She is such a beautiful little girl, but her brain was destroyed at birth. She can't see or eat or move or speak. She can't hug her parents or watch cartoons or run and play with her puppy. She never will. And yet she is adorable. And then I read about the Buffalo Bills reserve tight end, 25 years old, who will probably never walk again. Healthy and strong and playing the game he loved, and then a moment later, lying lifeless on the turf. He may not live. His family and friends must be suffering so today. This afternoon Sister Burmeister's trial begins. She is charge with vehicular homicide for killing two men on the Torrington Highway following a seminary fireside two years ago. One man had hit a deer in the highway and was down. Aother stopped to help. It was dark and Sister Burmeister didn't see them until it was too late. My heart just aches for all these people and I don't even know the football player. "No man is an island, entire of itself. Any man's death diminishes me." I think back on little Michael Nicoli, who died of a brain tumor when he was only 6. I was his Bishop. I don't remember crying so hard.

We are so blessed to have the Gospel of Christ, which gives us understanding and purpose and peace. It anchors our lives to that which is most important and most enduring. I am thankful to Heavenly Father for each of you. I am thankful that each of you has been blessed with good health and strength. I am thankful that you were able to run and jump and play as children, and swim and sing, and dress up in costumes and drink milkshakes and eat popcorn, and that we could watch movies together and laugh and open presents on Christmas morning. I am so thankful that I get to see you now and talk to you and watch you continue your journey through life. No, we haven't achieved all our dreams. Yes, there have been disappointments and setbacks. BUT, we have each other. We have the Gospel. And we have this day. It doesn't get any better than that.

I love you all. I love my amazing grandchildren and their mothers, and the mothers to be!!! I am humbled at God's goodness and these gifts of His in my life.

I hope and pray we can all live to be worthy of these blessings and that we each will offer the best service we can give in His Kingdom, not out of duty, but out of gratitude and love.

With love,

dad

No comments:

Post a Comment