Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Big Waves


That’s a great story, Hindu. One for the books. I’m glad you’re safe and sound.

Anyway, hopefully this stressful madness will calm down a bit for you so you can have a wonderful, joyous end to your mission. If not, then I guess it’ll be a wonderful, TRYING end to you mission, which is sometimes better. I know we had many more trying times in Ukraine than joyful, and yet a day doesn’t go by in my life when I don’t think about how amazing Ukraine was. So either way, it’ll be worth it.

Yesterday for Labor Day, we went to Dockweiller Beach, the sickest, dirtiest beach in all of California. It was chosen because you’re allowed to have fire pits and BBQ’s there (which is probably also why it’s sickest and dirtiest). Anyway, we made use of the BBQ aspect and had some killer dogs and brats. But the best thing about the whole day was the MASSIVE waves that were pounding the shore. In all my years out here, I’ve never seen waves that big and terrifying. So, what did I do? I rallied the troops (including the brave and beautiful Frannie), and we all went out and battled the onslaught of crashing waves for over an hour. It was exhilarating, intimidating, exhausting, and also refreshing! I actually had the gall to try and catch some of the waves on my little boogie board, and man alive! i’ve NEVER had such a rush! There you are, ten feet above everyone on shore, looking down as steep a decline as those giant white slides at WaterWorld, and you dig your hands into the water and propel yourself over the edge of the wave, just as it comes curling over, and WHOOSH!, you ride down the steep face like lighting, the white crashing behind you…

It’s fantastic.

I recommend it to all of you. Come out to California. We’ll ride waves together.

Love,
Douglas Bailey

PS after that, we went to a movie (Transformers – wretched) and then went to eat at Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. The chicken tasted just like Grandma Shanor’s fried chicken, and the waffles are out of this world. And we also saw Floyd Mayweather Jr. with his crew walk into the joint.

PPS All in all, it was a good Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment