Monday, November 26, 2007

Family Ties


Elder Hindu,

I did some research on Don Loper, and it seems he was a famous designer from Beverly Hills. He specialized in "american costumes" and neckties, and was also a screenwriter, choreographer, singer, and actor. Quite the career! I learned that his neckties have recently resurfaced with great popularity among young Mormon missionaries, and based on your enthusiasm for them, I'd say the statement is accurate. I wonder if some of my prized neckties happen to be of the Loper collection...?

Anyway, I'll get on ebay and see what I can find...

As for Frannie and me, things are going well. We've got TWO WEEKS of school left, after which I'll be skipping around the streets of L.A., singing praises to the heavens, my hair blowing behind me...

In the meantime though, we're working on final papers and getting ready for final exams. The one I'm working on right now is about the new era that was ushered in by the Bolsheviks in 1917. In building their "New World," they needed to cleanse the people of religion, and in doing so, paradoxically, created a religion of their own. My paper is about the establishment and development of that "church." I'm still researching a lot, and have found some pretty interesting things to write down. I'll give you an update when I'm done.

We also went to visit Duane and Rita McIntosh again yesterday, and that was great. They took us to the Ventura Harbor. I walked and talked with Duane and Frannie and Rita walked and talked at a brisker pace ahead of us. The little yachts bobbed up and down slightly and a few people were stringing lights, getting ready for their Christmas Light Show at the Yacht Club. Apparently, all these people treat their boats like Clark W. Griswald treats his home, and Frannie and I are going back up there on the 15th of December to witness the magic.

Duane talked a lot about the Church, and I have the feeling he thinks about it all the time. He isn't a member, but his daughters are strong in the Church, and he sees the good it is in their families. He told me about a term paper he wrote in college about the history of the Church, and how, since then, he's always been able to defend it against people who have the wrong idea.

Most of his friends are members, a lot of his brothers and sisters are members. His children and grandchildren are members! I wonder if he's just too timid to make a decision that Rita must be against... I'm not sure. But I got the feeling last night as I was praying, that I can continue to ask questions and continue to visit with him, and can be a "missionary" to him. We'll see...

I also learned a lot about Great-Grandpa McIntosh, but I won't tell you all about that, because Duane is working on two history books about his life that will be finished in the near future. Let me just say that our great-grandpappy, despite his drinking problem, was a good man, taught his kids proper values, and served our country honorably in WWI. He trained horses how to take supplies to the front and return from where they came to be loaded up again. Too many lives were being lost when soldiers delivered supplies. Anyway, there's lots lots more about him, but I'll let you read it in the books...

The Rogers family is doing well. Frannie took the mom and the girls to church yesterday. I think they're ready for baptism. We'll have to work a little harder with the dad and oldest son...

USC is in the hunt for the Rose Bowl. They "control their own destiny" as every ESPN commentator now annoyningly says about every team who has a shot at anything. With a win over UCLA this weekend, we'll clinch the Pac-10 and be headed for Pasadena! Sweet. I'm going to be lining up at about 9:00 in the morning Saturday for the game, which starts at 1:30. I can't wait.

Fight on, Trojans! And Fight on, Elder Bailey! Whip those Jamaicans into shape. You've only got a few more months to do it...

Love,
Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment