Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Honesty is the Best Policy Unless Your Life is in Danger



Honesty is the Best Policy
Unless Your Life is in Danger

I have justified many a white lie over the past few months in dealing with a self-absorbed, paranoid, devious freak for a boss. They have all been difficult to justify, as I whole-heartedly believe that Honesty is always the best policy, and has been since the dawn of time, or at least since God commanded men, “Thou shalt not lie.” And then, as if the commandment wasn’t enough (perhaps because men were constantly justifying breaking it) He reiterated it in the 119th Psalm: “I hate and abhor lying.” And as if that unequivocal statement wasn’t clear enough to those who continued to justify their dishonesty, He promised that liars would be thrust down to the burning lake of fire and brimstone in hell unless they ceased all fibbing, lying, scheming, and cheating.

If I were to take God up on His word, which I assuredly should, seeing as He does NOT lie, then it becomes extremely uncomfortable living through the lies I’ve told. How am I supposed to enjoy a family stroll through the park when the burning flames of a lake of fire are licking at my subconscious? How am I supposed to feel comfortable in skin that will soon be scorched to white-hot ash? How am I supposed to laugh at the ESPN commercial that shows the mascot of the New Jersey Devils descending to hell on an elevator? It’s impossible I tell you!

That is until I came across the following verses of scripture:

And it came to pass when I [Abraham] was come near to enter into Egypt, the Lord said unto me: Behold, Sarai, thy wife, is a very fair woman to look upon; Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see her, they will say – She is his wife; and they will kill you, but they will save her alive; therefore see that ye do on this wise: Let her say unto the Egyptians, she is thy sister, and thy soul shall live.
(Abraham 2:22-24)



In other words, “Hey Abraham, these Egyptians are going to kill you so they can get their hands on your wife. That is, unless you tell them she’s your sister. So my advice to you as that you tell them she’s your sister.” Abraham heeded that advice. And guess what? His life was spared.

And so, it seems that God is okay with a lie as long as it saves a life. And so, perhaps my repeated “doctor’s appointments” during working hours were necessary falsehoods that allowed me to interview with other companies without the risk of being hunted down and massacred by a cagey and psychotic egomaniac. And so, I’m now comfortable strolling through the park with my family, and in my own cool skin, and can even give a whole-hearted chuckle at ESPN’s jest at the devil and his supposed fiery hell. Ha ha-ha ha…

On the other hand, maybe Abraham’s lie was justified because it literally saved the life of Abraham – the Prophet and Patriarch – through whom virtually all mankind has been blessed. And furthermore, it wasn’t exactly Abraham’s lie, but God’s. I am neither a prophet nor a patriarch (except in the sense that I have one child, which can’t possibly be compared to Abraham’s numberless seed), and did not receive a directive from the Lord to deceive my boss. Hmm…


I think I’m starting to get a little hot under the collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment