Monday, August 13, 2007

Correspondence with Elder Andrew D. Bailey



Dear Family

Well, another week has come and gone for me here in Jamaica (and Grand Cayman). It was great to hear from all of you again this week. I especially loved the report on the trip to San Fran. It's interesting that you'd talk about how much people there need the gospel. The topic came up in a lesson while I was in Cayman of why God doesn't destroy places anymore the way that he did anciently. We came to the conclusion that the spiritual destruction that people heap upon themselves is far
more devastating than any bolt of lightning, or raging flood, or tumbling mountain. We're the only people that can save them from that destruction, pretty amazing.

The week here went pretty darn well. As you all know, I got to spend the weekend in the Cayman islands. Wow, what an incredible place. This is about as tourist a destination as you will ever find. It's absolutely beautiful, and it's maintained (it's got Jamaica beat there). The average income is higher there than in America. Most people don't live there for more than 7 years. It's hotter than Jamaica. There are extremely elect people to be taught, and extremely elect people being taught. They're educated, and in many cases humble. They come from all over the world. There are members of the branch from
Honduras, The Philippines, America, Cayman, Jamaica, Guyana, Canada, etc. etc. And the branch, oh the branch. I was absolutely blown away. They have about 40 members come each week, and about 20 tourists, and it functions. It functions well. I don't think I can really capture the difference between it and the branches in Jamaica. It ran every bit as well as a ward, and it was possibly the most edified I've ever been at church (that has a lot to do with lack of effort on my part before my mission). I also had a lot of fun doing missionary work with Elder Hugentobler and Elder Spencer. As you may remember, I trained Elder Hugentobler, so it was cool to see him again. Oh yeah, they had American products at the grocery store (yes, I did buy Goldfish, and yes I finished it in one sitting). Now, with all that being said, when we were sitting in the Cayman airport waiting to head back to Jamaica I found myself feeling homesick. I realized (perhaps fully for the first time), how
much I love Jamaica. It is my home. I know it doesn't last forever, and so now I need to savor every minute I have left.

This coming week is going to be hectic. We have meetings all week, and we're preparing for transfers. In about three months, at least 75% of our mission is going to have under a year of missionary experience. We've lost tons lately, and now we're getting tons. We are scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel to find trainers. It reminds of something Brigham Young said. I don't know the exact quote, but he said something to the effect of when the trials get the hardest you know
you're about to break through. This cycle we're in right now is a great trial of our faith as a mission. If we choose to approach it as a blessing and a learning opportunity and receive it with thanksgiving, we won't have any problems. Whom the Lord calls, he qualifies.

I wish I had more time to write, but we have to get out and teach (we don't get too many chances to do that anymore). I love you all so much, thanks for all that you do.

Elder Bailey

Great letter, Elder Hindu.

Sure brings back memories of my own mission,especially the part about being homesick. It's aninteresting thing to feel like Ukraine is my home,considering I spent only two short years there. Butthat's the way it is. It'll always feel a bit like home, or a second home at least. I suppose it'sbecause that's where I was closest to my real Home, or because that's where I was nourished and raised in a way that I hadn't been before. When you go through those kinds of experiences in a place, the place takes hold of you. So I guess that's why I remember Ukraine. That's why I miss it. And that's probably why you were
missing Jamaica.

I'm glad you're back there now though, with a new appreciation of your "home," teaching the people about Jesus, about his life and his gospel. Keep taking advantage of your time down there. Work hard. You won't regret it.

Love you, buddy.
Douglas

PS Gulf Shores, Alabama was good times. It certainly doesn't compare with what you're doing right now, which is why I'm leaving it in the "PS" section of this letter. But I did want to tell you that three days in the southern heat, soaking up the rays,
inhaling the humidity, lapping up the waves of the Gulf of Mexico, was about as relaxing a vacation as I'll ever have. It was like three days in a sauna. A big, beautiful sauna. If anyone would appreciate this, it'd be Jeff. I thought about him every day...

PPS oh yeah, and I got stung by a jelly fish. that was quite unpleasant, but still pretty cool. I've never been stung by one of those little guys before...

No comments:

Post a Comment