Friday, August 17, 2007

A letter from the patriarch of the family



This is a picture of the parents, Henry F. Bailey Jr. and Sandra Adele Bailey, when they came to visit me for my graduation from USC's the School of Cinematic Arts. I graduated "cum laude," whatever that means, but more importantly, Clint Eastwood was there, recieved an honorary degree, gave a wonderful speech, and hung around to hand out diplomas and shake our hands. It was a wonderful experience.

I wanted to post this picture, however, for a different reason (not to talk about graduation). These are the two that made it all happen, that gave us Bailey kids all that we have in life. What follows is a letter from Dad that will illuminate what I'm trying to say here:

Not surprisingly, there will be no Vale vacation for the Bailey clan this year. Just too much going on to squeeze our annual getaway in. 'Draya is days away from bringing little "Henry III" into the world. Or is it Colin. Colin? The only Colin I know is Colin Whitehead. And that strange actor who made that strange movie. Hope this one has different height genes! Anyway, 'Draya can't get caught in the Eisenhower Tunnel with an emergency delivery. Having watched 8 of them myself, I think I could get it done, but neither she nor I want to find out! Also, Aaron will be leaving home for the first time next week and he wants to stay here until that happens. We'll all be a little teary eyed when "Robert the George" leaves home and so we'll delay the departure as long as possible. Don't know about Marc's and Randalyn's schedules, but they are probably equally busy. Addison may be too little to take off to the mountains of Colorado, and Jennifer is still recovering. And of course Andy is a little tied up right now too. So . . . we'll postpone Vale until next summer when Andy's back, Colin is old enough to chase Jackson, Addison is eating table food, and then maybe we'll be able to have everyone go down together. Now THAT would be fun!

I love you all. Mom and I will soon be empty nesters and I can promise you there will be some tears. We love each other and will survive just fine, but our greatest joy has always been living with and loving you all. Her photo albums attest to that fact. My how you have blessed our lives. I look at the picture of you in my bedroom often - Aaron's about 2 and Brian's about 16 - and I recall so many, many wonderful memories. I know growing up in the Bailey home was not always "peaches and cream," but I also know you all made it so much more than it ever could have been without you. As I look back on the accomplishments of my life and look forward to what I would yet like to do I realize that nothing has been more important to me or ever will be than each of you . . . and now my grandchildren. I am so thankful for the Gospel and the binding power of Temple covenants. May we all live to keep those covenants strong and firm and ever lasting.

love, dad

No comments:

Post a Comment