Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Jackson Hole



This is me and my beautiful wife, Frannie. We had just taken a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming with one of my missionary buddies from Ukraine. Brantley Oakie is his name. And sales is his game. He's the team leader for a group of guys out in New York City right now, and he's teaching them all how to sell security systems. It was this job that brought Frannie and I to Jackson Hole that day, by way of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Brantely wanted me to join his team, I having had some experience in door-to-door sales from the previous summer, selling Dewey Pest Control to the good folks of the San Fernando Valley. I made about $4,000 in three weeks and was one of the top ten salesmen in all of California for one of those weeks. The job was simple enough. Knock on doors and ask people if they want to get rid of the ants and the roaches, the spiders and the gnats. Chances were, if they didn't have pest control already, they needed it, and they were more than happy to see me standing there in my Dewey cap and khaki shorts, clipboard in hand, ready to solve all their pest problems. And I was more than happy to sign them up! Each contract I turned in to Corporate tallied up to be about $130.00 for my bank account. Not too shabby. It was a little nerve-racking though. No base pay. No salary. We worked purely on commission. So I was a little worried after my first week when I ended with ZERO sales. But perserverence and prayer got me through those next two weeks, and I ended up doing a lot better than I ever thought I would, and learning a lot about myself in the process. And this is what 'ol Brantley saw in me as well. So he wanted me on his team. I told him I was more than likely going to be taking an internship for a small film company that summer and it wouldn't be worth his time to waste effort trying to recruit me, but he wasn't having any of it. He offered me two free round-trip tickets to Idaho and two free nights in a nice hotel to listen to his proposition. So I took it! Frannie and I boarded the plane and flew out to Idaho! We spent two wonderful days with Brantley and his wife, one of those being spent in Wonderful Wyoming, all expenses paid, and sure enough, I turned down his generous offer to sell security systems in New York for the internship in North Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment